Monday, May 23, 2011

Beekeeping












So I have taken up beekeeping with another guy in the church. We have captured two swarms and have cleaned a existing hive out of the wall of an RV trailer. So we now have three hives of our own and are hoping to buy another 40-50 or so. This is going to be a great BIG adventure for me as I have never started any kind of business before but we are hoping to be a blessing to each other, the church, and our community. The plan is over a year or two to build up enough hives to make it worth the trip to California for the pollination fees they pay beekeepers for putting their hives out in the almond groves. I am told when you get to 100-120 hives that it is worth your first trip so we will see. I also did a beekeeping lesson for our church daycare and I think the kids really enjoyed it.

No comments: