Friday, May 16, 2008

Community Outreach

So I went and mowed a yard the other day. No one lived there the owner had moved away and left it a 3 foot high mess in our community (she is in a wheel chair). I was at the city council meeting when neglected properties came up in the meeting. I mentioned this particular house because I see it often, and one of the city council members (who was being a jerk the who meeting) told me the church should take care of it since we were wanting to do community outreach. Well I went and did it. I can't say my motives were completely pure, but during the process I managed to make a good impression on the mayor of the community and also a next door neighbor. I am glad that God can take our sometimes not too pure motives and make good out of them anyway. I must admit by the time I was finished (it took two days, about four hours of time total) my motives had changed.

2 comments:

sassy chic said...

Interesting how God works in us and our motives and attitudes can change midstream! We start out making a point and kinda pouty and we end up having learned a lesson from God and so blessed by what God has done in our heart in the midst of a less than desirable situation. He is so faithful to us!

Plow Boy said...

Good lesson!
"Right attitudes often follow right actions"
I don't think the reverse is always true, though.