Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Know your calling


I got a call last night around 8:30pm. It was a older woman from my home town who knows I help fix things. I do this for widows, single parents, and handicapped as a ministry whenever I can. So anyway she called me and had a broken water pipe in the shower of her rent house. Apparently she owns a few around town. My first thought was "can I help", but then I remembered an important lesson I had been taught. Know your calling and stick to it. I have been overwhelmed in the past and yelled at God for giving me to much to do. His reply has always been I gave you this and you decided to do the rest yourself. So I politely let the woman know I was to busy with things already on my plate (broken vehicles, church maintenance, home maintenance, mini storage)to help at this time. There is a big difference between helping widows and becoming maintenance man for a Landlord. Don't take on those things you know are not in the realm God has put you in, you may find yourself doing it in your own power not God's.

2 comments:

Pat Hankins said...

Yeppers, there are people out there with big ones. Uhmm... a "rent" house that she wanted you to come and fix for free? I think maybe that you needed to inlcude in that statement, "sure I can be right over, shouldn't be more than three hours of work at $65 dollars an hour since it is so late and that would only cost you $195.00. Unless I run into major problems". I think then you would have solved two problems. hehe

katie said...

well u r certainly busy when can u help me with the plumbing under my house lol!