Wednesday, August 6, 2008

In Charge

I am "In Charge" this week as my senior pastors are out of town. I am a analytical personality type that sees everything in black and white, very little gray. However, I am learning there is gray areas or maybe we should call them Grace areas. So I was reading about King Saul this morning and a oath he made. He charged the soldiers in his country to not eat all day until "He" was avenged, sounds like pride to me. The soldiers did not eat until they were done but then they were staving and ate meat "with the blood". I think that means raw but I did not study it out. Anyway the point was whatever it means that it was wrong for the to do at that time. They were sinning against God and the hardship their King (leadership) put them under drove them to it. They were big boys they knew it was wrong and it was their decision but the unGodly oath the king made placed them in a bad situation, and set them up for failure. Life's Lesson # whatever I lost count by now but it struck me the importance of knowing what you are doing before you do it as a leader you can set people up for failure. As a side note they won the battle and all got to eat later. Saul stopped everyone from sinning and life went on (1 Samuel 14).

3 comments:

Trudy said...

So what was it that I required you to do and you ended up sinning because of it?!?!?

Pastor John said...

To Pastor Trudy: I was thinking more along the lines of my analytical personality and what I would make poeple do if I were the "boss". I am thinking Saul and I may make some of the same mistakes.

Trudy said...

ohhhhhhh